Making gingerbread men with my kids was an absolute hit and one I’m sure we’ll do again and again. The recipe is simple for kids to get involved with making and once you have the dough it’s all the fun of play dough with the bonus of being able to eat your creations at the end.
We made gingerbread men and also found some extra cookie cutters to make stars too which would be great at Christmas.
We saved the decoration for the next day after school and my eldest really enjoyed piping while my youngest was just as happy splatting some icing on from a bowl.
You Will Need:
- 350g plain flour
- 2.5 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100g butter
- 175g light brown soft sugar or muscavado
- 1 medium egg
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- Icing sugar or writing icing
How to make Gingerbread Men:
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Mix the flour, ginger, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda together.
- Add in the butter and then use your finger tips to rub into the flour and spice mix. Keep doing this until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Next add the sugar, egg and syrup and mix well.
- Keep mixing and a dough should form. When it holds together, it’s ready to roll out.
- Roll to approx. 1/2cm thick and then use a gingerbread man cutter to stamp out your people.
- Bake in the oven for around 15 minutes and then cool on a wire wrack.
- Writing icing in a fine tube would be the easiest way to decorate but you can mix up your own and use a homemade piping bag if you can’t find any in the shops.