Here’s an easy recipe for delicious homemade blackberry jam, with no added pectin. There are just three ingredients so it’s quick and satisfying for children to help make. Enjoy foraging for wild blackberries or try visiting a ‘pick your own’ place. Children can enjoy decorating their own labels to make a lovely homemade gift.
You will need:
(Makes 2 jars of jam)
- Two cups of blackberries
- One cup of caster sugar
- Two tablespoons of lemon juice
- Jam jars
How to make it:
- Begin by sterilising the jars by washing them thoroughly and then drying in a warm oven while you prepare the jam.
- Add the blackberries, sugar and lemon juice to a large pan.
- Bring to the boil and then let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Allow the jam to cool slightly and then ladle into the jars while still warm.
- Screw the lids onto the jars while the jam is still warm.
- When cool, add decorated labels. If it’s a gift, you may like to fix a circle of patterned fabric over the lid and fix with an elastic band.