Create a cool recycled bracelet by making your own beads out of an old magazine. Our beads were made out of long thin triangle strips to make a rounded bead. Have fun experimenting with different shaped strips.
- Magazine (or anything paper)
- Glue (any type works fine)
How to Make a Magazine Bead Bracelet
- Cut the magazine page into long thin triangles. The widest part of the triangle will be the length of your final bead. A long triangle will make a chunkier bead whilst a short triangle will make a slimmer bead. We cut one triangle then used this as a template to cut around for the rest.
- Cover one side of the triangle with glue, leaving a little piece unglued at the widest part of the triangle (this will help stop it sticking to the skewer).
- Wind the triangle tightly around the skewer, glue side inwards, starting at the wide edge of the triangle.
- Continue winding until you get to the pointy end of the triangle. Add a little more glue if needed to finish it off securely.
- Slide the bead off the skewer.
- Make as many beads as you want to, then thread on to a piece of elastic.
- Tie the elastic, then snip the loose ends and slide a bead over the knot to hide it.
- Your bracelet is now ready to wear, or give to a special friend.
Try making chunkier beads by cutting several gently tapering strips and gluing end to end to make a very long roll length.