Popcorn is huge fun to make with kids and is a cheap healthy snack. We used a saucepan with a clear lid to make the popcorn and the kids loved watching the kernels explode noisily. They were amazed that a small handful of hard corn kernels could make several bowlfuls of fluffy popcorn. Enjoy the popcorn with a movie night – or you could even make your own theatre or puppet show.
You will need:
- Popcorn kernels
- Tablespoon of butter
- Teaspoon of oil
- Saucepan with a lid
How to make popcorn:
- Heat the butter and oil together in the saucepan until melted.
- Add a large handful of popcorn kernels and fix the lid to the saucepan. Heat gently.
- Keeping the lid closed, shake the saucepan regularly to prevent the corn from burning.
- After a minute or so, the corn should start popping into lovely popcorn. Don’t be tempted to peak in the saucepan while there is still a lot of popping!
- Wait until the popping has slowed down then remove from the heat.
- Serve in a bowl plain or add sugar or salt if you prefer.
Making your own popcorn is much cheaper than buying it ready done from the supermarket, it’s lots of fun and great for school PTA fundraising events too.