Kate took her niece and nephew to Puzzlewood in the Forest of Dean and shares her review of this enchanted forest in Gloucestershire, perfect for a day out with the kids.
Wow is all I can say, what an incredible place! On entry you come into an area where you can walk round and see lots of animals such as chickens, goats, horses and donkeys.
You then follow the path round down into the enchanted forest. We didn’t know what to expect but thankfully the children took the lead! The scenery is breathtaking – full of twisted trees, woodland, paths and bridges the kids absolutely loved exploring and following the magical paths.
You can easily see why Puzzlewood has been such a popular location for filming of fantasy style productions from BBC production Wizards vs Aliens to Morganna’s hideaway in Merlin and even Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
You are also given a challenge to spot lots of different things which you can tick off, and there’s an app you can download to try and find the 10 hidden ancient coins! We only found 7 so we’ve saved some for our next trip.
We spent at least an hour exploring then we came out of the forest and all had a well deserved ice cream in the little cafe.
Top Tips for Visiting Puzzlewood
- Not suitable for pushchairs or people who are not stable on their feet – there’s lots of steps and climbing!
- Wear trainers or walking boots as some areas can be slippy.
- Don’t dress kids in their best clothes as there’s so much to explore and climb on!!
- Take a camera as there are so many photo opportunities!
- Definitely download the Puzzlewood app that really added to our adventure.
- Also due to current restrictions at the moment you have to follow a one way system around the attraction but no mask wearing is necessary.
- Please note that dogs are not permitted.
Does Puzzlewood have a cafe?
There’s a little cafe where we enjoyed an ice cream after exploring the forest. They also serve takeaway food and refreshments. Puzzlewood also have plenty of picnic benches with the site.
How much does Puzzlewood Cost?
Pre booking is essential as they will turn you away if you don’t have a booking.
Prices (August 2020) check website for any changes
Child aged 3-16: £6.00
Child aged 2 and under: Free
Family (2 adults and 2 children): £25.00