‘The Heron Path’
Have you ever been out in Wendover and stood near the clock tower wondering ‘Where does that path go?’
The Heron Path is part of The Ridgeway and will take you from the clocktower down a quiet path towards Witchell Cricket Field along the disused Grand Union feeder stream.
The stream is lovely to walk alongside and has a few little bridges, whilst the field itself is plenty big enough to run around and have picnics with plenty of benches.
If you follow the path you find yourself in the Wendover Memorial Garden which leads you to Hampden Fields and Pond. The pond is gated but you can walk around it if you have older children as the path is quite close to the edge at point.
The field has a wooden exercise trail, plenty of benches and a small bricked shelter area which my kids like to use as a shop or cafe!
There is also a playground which is gated and has what I would call ’90s’ style equipment. This means a great big slide and some traditional style swings and seesaws. There is also an accessible roundabout. It is not all new and fresh but is totally fit for purpose!
What I love-
- Free parking in the cricket field carpark off of South Street (HP22 6EF). More parking in the library carpark (ticketed).
- Buggy Friendly paths the whole way.
- Coffee shops and treat stops on the High Street including Whitewaters, Rumseys, Crumbs, Costa, the Bakers, and the lovely Lady Grey Tearoom where I spent my postnatal days with cake!
- Lots of seating along the way.
- Plenty to keep the kids interested and also suitable for bikes or scooters.
- This is one of my favourite walks on a weekend, I hope you enjoy it too!
A few more photos of the walk…