Pancakes are a breakfast treat on a lazy Sunday morning and of course, don’t forget Pancake Day. These fluffy American style pancakes are easy to make. Drizzle with a little maple syrup or even add some blueberries to the mix for an extra twist.
If you prefer the thin crepes, click here for our easy recipe.
This recipe will serve 2-3 hungry kids but you can easily double it up.
You Will Need:
- 135g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp. caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 130ml milk
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- A little extra oil and some butter for frying
How to make American Pancakes:
- Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder and sugar).
- Separately, beat the egg and mix together with the milk and oil.
- Add the wet and dry ingredients together and mix well with a fork. Any lumps should quickly disappear and it’s a great stage to include the kids.
- Warm a frying pan over a medium heat and add a little oil and butter to the pan (the oil will stop the butter from burning).
- Add in large dollops of the pancake batter, a small ladle or tablespoon works well. The number you can cook at one time will depend on the size of your frying pan as you don’t want the pancakes to touch each other.
- Heat the pancakes until bubbles start to appear and then flip over to cook the other side.
We made regular sized pancakes and mini ones. Lots of lovely bubbles have appeared and the pancakes are all puffed up and ready to flip over.