This snappy crab headband makes a great Under The Sea dress up costume. We sewed felt to make ours but you could use paper and staples if you want to make an easier version.
What You Need to Make a Crab Hat
- Red, orange, black, white felt
- Orange pipe cleaner
- PVA glue
- Sewing machine or needle and thread
How to Make a Crab Hat
- Cut two long strips of red felt to make the headband. Each one should be about 2 inches longer than half the distance round the head.
- Cut out black circles on stalks to make eye backgrounds.
- Cut out a whites circle and smaller black circle to fit onto the eye backgrounds and glue together. You may need to glue, let it dry, then peel off and glue again to get a good adhesion.
- Stick the eyes onto the back of one of the red felt strips.
- Cut out four snappy pincers.
- Cut the orange pipe cleaner into two pieces.
- Appy PVA glue and sandwich one end of the pipe cleaner between two of the pincers. Repeat with the other pipe cleaner piece and pincer set. Let the pieces dry then peel off and glue again. This should give a strong bond when dry.
- Layer the two pieces of red felt. Slide the end of a pipe cleaner pincer into each side between the layers.
- Sew each side, sandwiching the pip cleaner pincer, using a sewing machine or a needle and thread.
Your snappy crab hat is now ready to wear.